Monday, March 06, 2006

6 6 6

Main, first and foremost, I’m a Memphis Nigga, and I have repeated this mantra since my formative years growing up in Castalia Heights (CTO)- Castalia Taking Over) and South Parkway. Yep, even before I had all my degrees culminating with my Ph.D. And as you can suspect, being such I love the crib and all aspects of it especially its music, From Sam and Dave, Al Green and Isaac Hays to yes , the Three –six mafia. I didn’t get the chance to see them on the Oscars since my lame ass was up in the cut looking and hoping for Gonzaga to lose in the Western Athletic Conference final. But I knew about it.


I was at my home boys recording studio about 3 weeks ago when he got a call from D.J. Paul saying that they were being nominated for an Oscar and that even before hand the city had set it out for them. My home boy, who I grew up with, was one of the Villains in the Three-Six movie Choices. He was Alonzo Bolden (Reggie Boyland).

Three 6 Mafia were originally called "Backyard Posse and includes as its members Gangster Blac, Gangsta Boo, La Chat, Koopsta Knicca, Crunchy Blac, Lord Infamous, Juicy J, and DJ Paul. With the beat making magic of Paul and Juicy, they are the first hip-hop group from Memphis to go platinum.


Like I said, I didn’t see it or the performance; in fact I have never looked at the Oscars anyway. But my home boys called me, about three of them in a row ecstatic. Although most of yawl may recognize them for the songs "Sippin' on Some Syrup" in 2000 and "Stay Fly", I remember buying their tapes from them directly off the streets at clubs and Overton park. My favorites personally are: Azz and Titties”, “weak ass bitch”, “Make a stang”, “Mafia”, "tear the club up" "fuck what ya heard" among many more. This is likely the biggest bang for our music in the industry since Isaac Hayes winning for "Theme from Shaft" in 1971. So I say this just to say good lookin Three-six, for putting Memphis-1o, flip town, the bluff city back on the top of music game as it should be.

10 comments:

So...Wise...Sista said...

Now see, this is the shit they need to put at the BEGINNING of the Oscars! Not only did I miss their performance but I also missed their acceptance...and I'm banking on BET to play it ad naseum for the next 2 days so I can catch it. I must say, after seeing the GMA clip you linked, I don't feel as embarrassed as I did when I heard that they were a hot "Know'um Sayin" mess in their speech! lol They seem genuinely cool and um...un-ignant. :)

I've been to Memphis. Nice town. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

...Big ups to the "DEVIL"S MAFIA"!!! 666 mafia!

Anonymous said...

^
^
^
^
THat was me!!!!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

makin easy money ppimpin hoes in style
memphis
mo ass coming soo
macs
puttin paper in my pocket
Ppimp

chauffeur town pimps

A.u.n.t. Jackie said...

i wish you'd have seen the performance because as someone who has worked in the entertainment industry for over ten years, i didn't find the performance itself Oscar worthy. Poor sound, shabby set design, shabby choreography and the list goes on.

i'm glad someone feels good about these guys. i'm not from memphis and i am certainly no hip hop lover, but as a black professional in hollywood to have to withstand the jokes and side comments all week about pimps and hoes made me mad!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

Ms A: You should have whooped them tricks - lol. Im proud of my folk regardless thanks for the love

MZPEACH said...

This was so neat reading this. I mean I didn't know they were called Backyard Posse. I am glad they changed the name.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the insight and for visiting my spot :)

Unknown said...

zhengjx20160819
washington wizards jerseys
ray bans
coach factory outlet online
michael kors outlet online
coach factory outlet online
nhl jerseys
uggs on sale
timberland boots
oakley vault
cheap toms shoes
ralph lauren polo
coach outlet online
oakley sunglasses
vans outlet
christian louboutin pas cher
cheap ray ban sunglasses
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton purses
nike air max uk
kate spade outlet
tory burch outlet online
louis vuitton
jordan concords
mont blanc pen
asics shoes for men
michael kors handbags
longchamp sac
canada goose pas cher
jordan retro 11
cheap jerseys
uggs for men
seattle seahawks jerseys
gucci belts
longchamp outlet
moncler uk
michael kors outlet
gucci belts
ghd hair straighteners
coach outlet canada
cheap uggs

5689 said...

zzzzz2018.11.5
nba jerseys
moncler outlet
lacoste polo
hermes belt
ugg boots clearance
tory burch outlet
ray ban sunglasses
coach factory outlet

kate spade outlet