Thursday, June 14, 2007

Merci Beaucoup


As we speak, I am in Quebec City, Quebec. I have to work. Never been to any where in Canada prior with the exception for a week in Toronto. It too was work but the problem was that I had just gotten back in the States from Cape Town, the day before this trip, and that is a 16-hour flight. I did not stay in the airport as long as I did this time – six hours. However, there were two observations that stood out. The first is that Black folks do not fly in Toronto because I say none in the airport over that time period and this was a Friday. Second, on every corner in the Toronto airport, folks trying to get you to sign up for credit cards.

However, back to Quebec City. It was nice, quiet, collective, albeit I was there on behest of your government’s scientific interest to talk on health issues related to substance abuse among incarcerated populations. Add to that I was the only African American and the only male with three other white women speaking on the subject.

Otherwise, I could adapt, even though I do not speak an ounce of French. The extent of my French is as follows: Chardonnay, Merci’, Merci Beaucoup, Roland Garos and French Fries. In addition, there was the small mater of not being able to find grits and instead being offered beans. And the fascination that folks have with putting crepes on ever menu item and the limited avaliability of folks of African descent. I knew there were not many because the only folks that rode or I saw riding the bus were white, in fact I only saw one back person on a bus out of about 8 or nine that passed by my hotel.

But then there are other things I will never adapt too. The first are the French language keyboards in English – go figure. The next is getting change back in Canadian loot when you spend US dollars. Lastly, the sun rises at 4.10 am. I mea I got p my first day their thinking I’m late for my presentation, which was at 8am because I saw the sun out, got up, started to dress, thinking I was late and looked at the clock. It was 4.11am. I forgot it was that far up north and close to Nova Scotia. Even with this, I had a ball. Especially when I went to Largo’s, a little jazz restaurant and wine bar on rue Saint-Joseph (picture above. The owner (Gino Stemarie) and I had a ball discussing why he did not carry any South African Wines and he gave me a jazz CD recorded in his bar by this group called the Andre Laure Sextet. One word, tight. I would recommend anyone visit Quebec City unless they need something other than Crepes to survive on – that nearly killed me.

9 comments:

Lola Gets said...

Love your blog and your writing style - Im going to try to keep coming back!
L

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

y thank you Lola, maybe u would enjoy my short stories also

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a nice time up there! I know you miss lil mama though...Enjoy the rest of your stay!! --Miya

Unknown said...

Whadup T... you had me crying with your extensive french vocab.. brotha you know more than the average joe.. the jazz bar alone makes a sista wanna take a trip to QB.. on another note.. im soooo happy you've added this feed to your spot on 360.. makes things a little betta.. i can see when you put something new on the streetz.. play on playa...

~R~

Mizrepresent said...

Wow, thanks for pics and story, almost felt like i was there. Have a safe trip T.

Anonymous said...

I haven't traveled much, but when I read this I kinda felt as if I was there going through a flash-forward? Not a whole lot of details, but important issues that I think would have also been my focus. Especially being African American, non french speaking and a lover of American foods! LOL I have always wondered about Quebec and this was insightful. ty

BronzeBuckaroo said...

I enjoyed this post. Me, I would have tried to stay in South Africa longer. Quebec, I can swing with the town regardless of anything. I am a wanderer.

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo shoes, insanity workout, ugg soldes, nike trainers, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, north face jackets, lululemon outlet, canada goose outlet, herve leger, ugg boots clearance, hollister, north face jackets, mont blanc pens, giuseppe zanotti, replica watches, vans outlet, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, birkin bag, celine handbags, ghd, soccer shoes, ugg outlet, wedding dresses, ugg outlet, mcm handbags, ferragamo shoes, instyler ionic styler, longchamp, marc jacobs outlet, chi flat iron, soccer jerseys, uggs outlet, canada goose outlet, valentino shoes, p90x workout, mac cosmetics, asics shoes, beats headphones, reebok shoes, ugg, nike roshe, babyliss, bottega veneta, abercrombie and fitch, nike huarache, canada goose, uggs on sale

oakleyses said...

canada goose pas cher, juicy couture outlet, air max, ray ban, lancel, moncler, supra shoes, oakley, converse shoes, converse, vans, uggs canada, coach outlet, pandora uk, canada goose, moncler outlet, ugg, louis vuitton canada, moncler, hollister clothing, toms outlet, swarovski jewelry, swarovski uk, montre femme, moncler, pandora charms, louboutin, hollister, karen millen, ralph lauren, iphone 6 case, baseball bats, canada goose, hollister canada, moncler outlet, pandora jewelry, thomas sabo uk, moncler, parajumpers outlet, links of london uk, nike air max, gucci, canada goose, wedding dress, replica watches, timberland shoes, juicy couture outlet, moncler